It’s no secret that I love to cook or bake but I get stuck in the same food rut, much to the dismay of my husband. It’s easy for me to fall into that rut because of all the other things on my plate, dinner usually falls to the lowest rung on my priority list. This makes it so easy to get stuck in old patterns and meals that I know will go over well. Meals that go over well in our house include spaghetti, tacos, hamburgers and chicken nuggets. To be honest, by the end of the day I’m tired of fighting with the mini-dictators in my house and just want to eat a meal in peace. Or relative peace. And not having to count how many bites of peas/rice/green beans/carrots/mashed potatoes until they’re done.
This year my husband has FINALLY joined me in the organic/whole foods/eating healthier routine which makes it FUN to find recipes that are not only healthy for us but will go over well with the whole family. My talented friend, Jessica, over at My Own Little Circus has a delicious recipe for Cauliflower Fried Rice. I tentatively addressed my idea for this recipe with my husband and, much to my surprise, he was all for it.
I’m happy to announce that the recipe was a HUGE hit and had TONS of flavor. The kids even put up minimal fuss about the “rice” and I was happy knowing that I snuck in an extra vegetable. Jessica’s recipe was a great starting point for me but I love to experiment. I made a few tweaks to the recipe that I think you’ll love as well. Try it! You’ll thank me later!
- 1 bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
- 1 egg
- 1-1.5 TBSP Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Power
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2-3 spritzes Liquid Aminos
- 1 lb chicken or steak (optional)
- Heat cast iron skillet on medium-medium high heat.
- Scoop Coconut Oil onto heated skillet and allow to melt.
- Add in Chicken or Steak and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt & Pepper on meat.
- Allow meat to cook until done, about 3-4 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and steak has reached your desired temperature.
- Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Add bag of riced cauliflower and cook in remaining oil until lightly browned and tender.
- Add bag of frozen vegetables and cook until heated through.
- Move mixture to one side of the skillet and add an egg. Combine the cooked egg with the vegetable mixture. Add the meat back to the pan to warm.
- Serve immediately into bowls and spritz with Liquid Aminos or dash with Soy Sauce.
*Makes about 4 servings.